Friday, August 5, 2011

Every journey...

I did know what I was getting myself into, I just refused to be overwhelmed by it. If I were to think "Can I build a fort, plan it, work hard building it, paint it, sand it?" the thought would be suffocatingly exhausting.
But if I think, "I want my kids to have a fort, can I haul this wood over here? Can I screw this board to the floor, can I screw this other board to that one?" Each of these little acts are doable. And some of them are enjoyable. Like today I drove out to the landfill where there is a free paint exchange, my little toddler guy sleeping in the back. Chet Baker was on the radio. it was beautiful and sunny. It was a beautiful drive  for about half an hour, and at the end I got to root through can cans, and was excited to find beautiful colors of paint for free. It was all in all a great little chunk of time.
It's also part of my decision to make this fort out of free stuff. I haven't bought anything, except for some screws and a handsaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment