Thursday, August 11, 2011

When life is magic.

I was driving out to the paint exchange, which is located at the local landfill and it struck me just how amazing the simple things in life can be, and how happy they can make me.
The radio was on, and there was french folk music playing and it was pretty, and I didn't know what they were singing about, so I could contemplate life. And my little guy was asleep in the back, his little face turned to the side, absolutely adrift away from the world, engulfed in the sea of sleep, sunlight filtered through the dusty car window lighting up his blonde hair.
The road out to the landfill is through farmland and lots of trees on the sides of the road. It was a gorgeous day, and I was excited about what kind of paint I might find, and what kinds of projects my bounty might inspire.
It's crazy how much time we spend trying to be happy, committing to things that we think will make us happy: planning parties and events that supposedly are 'the happy times', but just driving to the dump with my baby sleeping in the car was one of the sweetest moments I've had in a while. Logic tells me that if these kinds of moments, simple ones, where I am fostering my creativity and rooting around for discarded items, if these things (among others obviously) make me happy I should structure my life around these things.
But we get ensnared in different structures don't we? And we can't blame society, or other people's expectations, because we build these awkward ill-fitting structures ourselves.
It struck me just how magnificent life felt at that moment, so I turned on my camera and made a move of the road, with the music playing. Enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment